Information Session Friday, October 14th, 12-1pm RSVP Lunch Provided at the CCID located in the Center for Student Services 2nd Floor!
This program is open to the entire Caltech community! Building an inclusive environment that promotes diversity requires commitment and contribution from all of our members to educate themselves on basic cultural competencies to champion diversity and inclusion efforts on campus and beyond. With projects in collaboration with various offices on campus, the CDIA Program engages and supports students, staff, faculty, and postdocs to implement their ideas to make Caltech a more inclusive place.
This collective is a supportive community with resources to inspire grassroots Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) work on campus and provides space for collaboration. The program gives a platform to showcase work campuswide contributing to greater diversity initiatives. The CDIA program provides leaders with the tools that they need to put their projects into action through a series of trainings, workshops, and activities.
Each Ambassador will complete the following requirements over the course of a year (Estimated time: 7 hours of programming):
- Decoding Diversity is our one hour workshop introducing all of campus to basic knowledge around diversity and inclusion. (Approximately 1 hour)
- Safezone Trainings are LGBTQ+ basics and allyship skills that are offered every quarter. If you have taken it within the past two years you do not need to take it again! (Approximately 2 hours)
- Diversity Statement: Share with the CCID what diversity means to you, and how it relates to your own positionality on campus as well as how you are currently contributing to diversity and/or inclusion efforts on campus. (Approximately 1 hour)
- Advocacy Project: Show Caltech how you are an advocate for diversity and inclusion. This is an advocacy project of your choosing. A CCID staff will support you. (Approximately 3+ hours)
- Team or Individual Project
- Written Proposal: With the overarching goal centered on increasing diversity and/or creating a more inclusive culture/environment on our campus. Examples include: Social media campaign, article/book group, host a speaker, facilitate a workshop, volunteer, change images in your space etc.
- Show us how it went! Document your project through pictures, video and share it with us. #CDIAproject
- Submit a final report on the proposal: Confirmation of final project objectives and details with a brief description of what went well, challenges, assessment of impact, and next steps.
CDIA Program Core Values
- Social Justice & Social Changemaking- Being the change that you want to see at Caltech
- Supportive Community & Network- Being part of a core group on campus making campus a more inclusive place as well as a place to meet like minded individuals dedicated to service learning, giving back, and collaborating on initiatives. There are opportunities to meet with resources on campus and potential funding opportunities. Undergrads in the houses can receive up to $100 to work on projects in collaboration with the Office of Residential Experience (ORE).
- Knowledge & Skillbuilding- Gaining the skills needed to promote allyship and creating brave spaces on campus as well as developing leadership, presentation, and facilitation skills