Productivity and your Email
Take this opportunity to exchange your current strategy for addressing and utilizing your email. Below is a checklist for beginning to think about where you could develop, improve or try a new strategy. There is no one size fits all, but hopefully, through opening lines of communication and asking others what works for them, (and what doesn't work) you can work towards finding what works best for you.
- Delete email before reading when it's not relevant or the material is easily available elsewhere.
- Read and respond immediately to emails that require a short answer.
- Do not open the email that will require lengthy response: do these at the same time every day
- Create a file of common questions and answers.
- Create a letter template for common requests.
- Limit your time on electronic media so it does not invade your entire day.
- Do not respond to emails or answer the phone during your times you set to write, complete other tasks, etc.