Home / Resources / Campus Resources / LGBTQ+ Resources
The LGBTQ+ community uses many acronyms in various presentations or discussions to describe the community. Recognizing that the LGBTQ community is not a homogenous group, it is imperative to use language that is inclusive to all the diverse sexual and gender identities within the community.
Caltech Polices, Resources, & Guidelines
- Bienestar - Bienestar focuses primarily on the Latino gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender communities in regards to HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, and drug prevention. Located at 4955 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90027; (323) 660-9680.
- Gender Justice LA (GJLA) - GJLA is a 10-year old non-profit organization working to elevate the collective power of the Los Angeles transgender community, with the end goal of eliminating gender-based oppression. GJLA builds power and action within the transgender community through grassroots community organizing campaigns. Located at 6815 W. Willoughby, Suite #203, Los Angeles, CA 90038; (323) 960-9279.
- LA Gay and Lesbian Center - The LA Gay & Lesbian Center provides a broad array of services for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community, welcoming nearly a quarter-million client visits from ethnically diverse youth and adults each year. The Center also offers legal, social, cultural, and educational services, with unique programs for seniors, families and youth, including a 24-bed transitional program for homeless youth. Located at 1625 N. Schrader Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028; (323) 993-7400.
- LA Gay and Lesbian Scientists (LAGLS) - LAGLS is an organization of professionals and students in the biological, mathematical, engineering, physical, and social sciences. It holds meeting periodically throughout the Los Angeles-area.
- LA Gender Center - The Los Angeles Gender Center provides sensitive transsexual counseling and transgender therapy, psychotherapy, and counseling to individuals and groups.
- Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) – Pasadena Chapter - PFLAG offers resources for parents, friends, and family members of LGBT individuals.
- Transgendered Soul - Transgendered Soul is an online support group website within San Bernardino and Riverside County for transgender individuals. Its website also provides articles related to Trans issues.
National Queer Resource Websites
- Asexuality Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) - AVEN strives to create open, honest discussion about asexuality among sexual and asexual people alike.
- Bisexual Resource Center (BRC) - BRC focuses on resources for individuals attracted to more than one gender (bisexual, pansexual, omnisexual, queer, etc.).
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) - HRC is a LGBT civil rights organization, and publishes the annual HRC Report Card, which measures how LGBT-friendly businesses and organizations are.
- Intersex Society of North America - ISNA is devoted to systemic change to end shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) - NGLTF is a LGBT civil rights organization focusing on grassroots activism and organizing.
- National Center of Lesbian Rights - The National Center for Lesbian Rights is a national legal organization committed to advancing the civil and human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their families through litigation, public policy advocacy, and public education.
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) - NCTE focuses on the advancement for transgender equality and provides resources on transgender issues.
- Trans-Academics - Trans-Academics focuses on providing education and resources to anyone with an academic or personal interest in gender identity.
- Transgender Law Center - Transgender Law Center focuses on providing resources regarding transgender law.
- API Equality – Los Angeles - API Equality-Los Angeles is a coalition of organizations working to support equal rights for LGBT people in the greater Los Angeles-area Asian and in the Pacific Islander community.
- The Gay Christian Network - The Gay Christian Network is a nonprofit ministry that supports LGBT Christians.
- Gay and Lesbian Atheists and Humanists - Gay and Lesbian Atheists and Humanists focuses on providing space and resources for LGBT atheists and humanists. This organization has a chapter in the Los Angeles-area.
- National Black Justice Coalition - The National Black Justice Coalition is a civil rights organization dedicated to empowering Black lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. NBJC's mission is to eradicate racism and homophobia.
- NativeOUT - NativeOUT is a national unincorporated nonprofit education and media organization, actively involved in the Two Spirit Movement.
- Trikone - Trikone is a registered nonprofit organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people of South Asian descent. It is located in the San Francisco Bay-area.
- World Congress of LGBT Jews - World Congress of LGBT Jews is a worldwide organization that focuses on the support and empowerment of LGBT Jews. This organization holds conferences and provides online resources.
- Campus Pride - Campus Pride focuses on supporting LGBT-identified college students. This organization provides resources and articles.
- Lambda 10 Project - Lambda 10 is a chapter of Campus Pride that focuses on LGBT-friendly Greek organizations.
- The Advocate - The Advocate focuses on current news and issues within the LGBTQ community.
- Courage Campaign - Courage Campaign focuses on current LGBT issues as well as on liberal issues and politics in California.
- Lambda Legal - Lambda Legal focuses on LGBT issues and current events.
- Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) - GLAAD ensures that the stories of LGBT people are heard through the media.
- Bienestar - Bienestar focuses primarily on the Latino gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender communities in regards to HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, and drug prevention.
- Gay & Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA) - GLMA's mission is to ensure equality in health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals and health care providers.
- Gay Men Health Crisis - Gay Men Health Crisis focuses on health concerns of men who sleep with men.
- Trevor Project - The Trevor Project focuses on suicide prevention in LGBTQ youth. A 24-hour hotline is available.
- Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE) - COLAGE focuses on resources for people with LGBTQ parents and/or family members.
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) - GLSEN focuses on the need to address anti-LGBT behavior and bias in schools. It has a collection of research and tools for education.
- Parents, Family, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) - PFLAG focuses on resources for parents, friends, and family members of LGBT individuals.
- GSA Network - GSA Network is an organization working to empower youth activists to fight homophobia and transphobia in schools.
Science & Engineering
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP) - NOGLSTP is a national organization of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people (and their advocates) employed or interested in scientific or high technology fields.